Design for flood resilience
4.3 Design for flood resilience
New planning policy should direct future development away from areas of high flood risk but it is inevitable that some development will be necessary in areas that flood.
It is therefore important to design and construct buildings that are more resilient to flood damage.
Designers need to consider and understand flood risks at the earliest stage of the design process.
Some Points for Consideration:-
- Evaluation of the risk of flooding, information provided by the Environment Agency.
- Consideration of flood risk management and modelling.
- Sensible project planning to include consideration of ground floor areas to be given over to parking, landscaping or low risk areas.
- Consideration of robust finishes to vulnerable areas.
- Consideration of flood defences.
- Consideration of sustainable urban drainage solutions to reduce water into underground drainage systems and water courses.
- Consideration of flood resisting construction.
Useful links for guidance are;